Monday, December 29, 2014

Apologetics Is Like Washing Dishes With Dad

Apologetics Is Like Washing Dishes With Dad

by Robin Wilson
2 Corinthians 4:6-7(NASB)
6 "For God, who said, “Light shall shine out of darkness,” is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.
7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves"
I have a wonderful father. Back in the 60's when I was a young child my dad often washed the dinner dishes for my mother after one of her fantastic meals. When I was little I would beg Dad to let me "help" him. Every parent knows the help of a 3 year old is not really help. My Dad would smile patiently, pull up a chair and let me "wash" the dishes. I didn't notice at first that he would rewash my dishes. Once when I caught him I asked why are you doing that? I already washed them. My dad would say he was just fixing a few mistakes so everything would be good.

People invested in apologetics have a burden for souls and sharing the Gospel. We desire to help spread the Good News of God's completed work of salvation through Jesus Christ. We study, we write, we witness, we debate, we speak, we take complex concepts and break them down, we use the Bible, science, history, archaeology, logic, reason and philosophy in creative ways to get people to "see".  But at times we lose sight of our place. We may think it is "us" that makes the headway when in fact it is God using our flawed attempts and then "fixing" them. God has allowed us to share in His work by witnessing, and helping each other, but it is He that draws the person, changes the person and completes the work.

I am so glad God allows us to work for Him and I am also glad God "rewashes my dishes" to make it all work out for His good and perfect will. All God needs is a willing heart with a desire to see lost people come to Christ and the the discipline to study His Word.
1 Corinthians 1:18-31(NASB)
The Wisdom of God
18 For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written,

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise,
And the cleverness of the clever I will set aside.”
20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. 22 For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom; 23 but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, 24 but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; 27 but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong, 28 and the base things of the world and the despised God has chosen, the things that are not, so that He may nullify the things that are, 29 so that no man may boast before God. 30 But by His doing you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption, 31 so that, just as it is written, “Let him who boasts, boast in the Lord.”
What a wonderful God that gives us purpose in life and despite our flaws allows us the "help" in His  perfect work.

by Robin Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment